forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6615  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign-To-Spoken Language Translations

SignWriting List
March 22, 2002

Tony - thanks for informing us of your progress - I feel relieved
that you are starting to understand that each language has a
different grammar structure, and that there is no "exact-one-to-one"
translation for the word for "the"...

I noticed in your comment below that you mention that you meant " the
most common 100 words that are spoken"...actually that isn't even
completely accurate...

To be accurate, you mean "the most common 100 words used when
speaking English". If you were a Dane, there would be a good chance
the word "the" would not be one of your words...because in the Danish
spoken language, although two forms of formal "the" do exist, they
are rarely spoken. Most of the time in spoken Danish the "the" is not
a separate word at all - it is attached as a special ending at the
end of nouns...so the nouns change depending on whether "the" is
attached or not...so not only are signed languages different, but
spoken languages are too!

And I do repeat once again...you need to find an expert in Irish Sign
Language, who signs well, to help you...writing Irish Sign Language
is no small job and you do need people who sign to work with you...

Why not write to a Deaf Irish man, the author of the Irish Sign
Language Dictionary in SignWriting? Perhaps Pat can help you?

Patrick Matthews

Val ;-)