forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6665  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Dan Parvaz
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  12:26 am
Subject:  Re: Bible work started

> There are today many evangelical Christian groups from the USA who are
> operating in Nicaragua and at least one group is deliberately striving
> destroy the indigenous sign language in favor of Signed English.

Isn't this pretty much what happened in Puerto Rico? I'm not sure if it
was deliberate, but I heard from PR Deaf folks that a missionary school
played a large part in this. Some of us who try to avoid "ASL
contamination" in our fieldwork get just a little bent out of shape
about this sort of thing. :-\

And it ain't just missionaries; the U.S. Peace Corps has gotten a bad
rep for that sort of thing.

> or for that matter Qu'ranic verse (my apologies if I misspelled that)

The glottal stop comes before the "a": "Qur'anic". You get major points
for including a religion other than Christianity... and for using the
"Q" :-)

Cheers,

Dan.

  Message 6665  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index