forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6673  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Dan Parvaz
Date:  Mon Apr 1, 2002  5:36 am
Subject:  Re: Questions about ASL Translation (was Re: Bible Work Started)

> Actually, I am in the process of trying to work with them and encourage
> them
> to support a "transcription" of their video Bible.

That's (good) news to me. Glad to hear you're doing that. :-)

> If any on the list are interested in working with me to transcribe, I
> would like to know that.

Transcription might not be something I can do at the moment. But I am
interested in producing text tools for concordancing, indexing, etc.

> I have also felt that a video translation introduces personality issues
> when watching a person sign Scripture.

The LDS (Mormon) church encountered a similar issue when producing their
ASL translation of the Book of Mormon (in which SW played some role in
glossary development, I believe). Their project chief put it this way:
"We don't want this to turn into a yearbook." I think their solution was
to have one person do all the signing.

> I have noticed in some of the videos that the production is a little
> shaky
> simply because they are using gloss to help the signer know what to sign
> next. Again, this will come with time.

This policy has changed from tape to tape. In some of the more recent
tapes (anything with Pat Graybill, say) the text is more fluid; the
price is all the paraphrasing that goes on.

> Generally, I would like to see this be done by people who have an
> understanding of Greek and Hebrew at the least. In the deaf world, it
> is
> rare to find someone with an understanding of the original languages and
> ASL.

It's pretty rare in the hearing world, too, don'cha know. The rarer
since most people's Greek and Hebrew isn't quite ready for heavy-duty
exegesis and translation.

> I don't have a problem with ecumenical efforts as along as we can let
> the
> text say what it says without making the translation interpret the text.

Ultimately, there's no such thing, except in the most boring of cases.
We're all guilty of "interpretation" -- the honest thing is to spell it
out. I think this might be a point of difference between us. We could
take this discussion off-line, though.

As far as a written text goes, I agree. And if it is something you
actually want Deaf people to read, SW is the only serious contender.

Back to work/school tomorrow... *grumble*

-Dan.

  Message 6673  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index