forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6764  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Thu Apr 11, 2002  10:29 am
Subject:  Re: Eliciting Sign Language data

Well, I remember in my total immersion American Sign Language class we were
given objects (a ball, various tinkertoys, various objects in a room) and
asked to describe them using only sign language. This elicited a lot of
gesture, mime, and slowly defined ASL that was gramattically shaped by
ongoing discussion with our teacher. Picture cards could work the same way.
Humans have the amazing capacity to create stories so having multiple
picture cards and asking the group to "create a story" using them all, I
would think, would elicit "grammar" and "morphology" from context.