>In my Special Education class I am doing reviews of journal
>articles, and I want to know--has anyone anywhere published any kind of
>study that involved SignWriting? Preferably in teaching literacy to deaf
>children? There must be something I can write a report on for these
>people. Help!

>Joe Martin
>n9620132@cc.wwu.edu

Hi Joe!
Thanks for the above message. The area of collecting data on using SignWriting in Deaf Education is just beginning really. That is why you do not find many articles in journals at present.

However, there is an excellent 80 page published report from Denmark in 1985. They taught SignWriting to Deaf children in the 1980's. This report summarizes their results and is quite detailed. It is entitled:

UNDERVISNING I TEGNSKRIFT/TEGNSPROG
FORSOGSPROJEKT PAA DOVESKOLEN I RANDERSGADE

INSTRUCTION IN SIGNWRITING/SIGN LANGUAGE
RESEARCH PROJECT AT THE DEAF SCHOOL AT RANDERSGADE

AUTHORS:

Ivan Bentzen
Dietgard Glebke
Inger Kjaer
Bente Sparrevohn

Published by:
Kobenhavns kommunale Skolevaesen Forsogsafdelingen
Copenhagen's School System Research Department
ISBN: 87-7346-145-8

The report is written in Danish and Danish Sign Language. The teachers state their objectives, discuss the children, show examples of their work, and then summarize with the results and opinions from the participants. There are also specific examples of how they taught SignWriting, what was hard, what was easy, and so forth.

I will be happy to translate the Danish into English, and publish the report on our SignWriting Web Site, but first I will write to the publishers and authors for permission. So hopefully that will happen in the future.

For right now, I will be happy to email anyone interested a few excerpted paragraphs from the report, translated into English.

Good luck with your report, Joe -

Valerie :-)