forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1697  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  James R Womack
Date:  Thu Aug 19, 1999  12:08 am
Subject:  Re: Swedish Sign Language

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:57:04 -0400 Lourdes Tollette
writes:

> Hi,

> Just for information about Gallaaudet.... no longer call that name
> Now it is called "Gally". Lourdes

For your information Gallaudet University is called Gally. It is also
called
by it's proper name of Gallaudet. Gally is a nickname, just as Jim or
Jimmy is a nickname
for James. FYI when you walk or drive into the Gallaudet campus, the sign
out front says
"Gallaudet University" It does not say "Gally." The sign at the Blair
Road entrance
says the same thing.All official information printed material from the
university says
Gallaudet University ( I get letters, magazines, surveys, and even
invitations from there
all the time). The website says the same thing. Know too that in the late
1960's, because the football
teams lost so often, a certain faction of students referred to Gallaudet
as "Gallysmelt."
Know too that during the riot after Martin Luther King was killed, the
newspapers referred to Gallaudet
College (at that time) as Fort Gallaudet because we had 700 soldiers on
campus a tank and a helicopter landed at least once. Through all this and
more, the school remains "Gallaudet" and probably always will unles
it becomes Gallaudet-Clerc University as some propose.

Same thing with a birth certificate. The world can call me Jim or Jimmy,
but I am "officially" James. The United States' nickname among citizens
here is America. Another nickname is USA. Yet another but less used one
is "the States." I won't even tell you some of the less flattering names
we also refer to our country. We can call it whatever we want, but
officially it is the United States of America. And Gally is Gallaudet
University. FYI.