forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1729  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Akehurst
Date:  Wed Aug 25, 1999  12:18 pm
Subject:  SWLProject

Hello Valerie, a MILLION pardons for not having responded MUCH earlier to
this post. I was away for two months and had misfiled it as well so I had
to search the archives to get it back up! I'm so sorry not to have
responded earlier...

Anyway, with reference to the advanced SW materials and the effects on our
group, I wanted to address this question...

Valerie wrote...
It seems that for children or beginners the color coding helps, which is
great news, and I know others agree. This is my question...

Do you think I should have carried the color coding over to the Goldilocks
storybooks? As you noticed, I only used the color coding in the instruction
book, but I made the REAL storybooks black text, like most books are. I was
trying to "move them into reading normally", without the color.

Do you agree with that decision, Kathy, or do you think the color coding
should have been used in the Goldilocks Intermediate storybook as well? I
can change that, if you think I should.

My reply...
I think the colour coding is a wonderful thing but I do not think it should
be carried over to the Goldilocks storybooks for the very reasons you
mentioned. The idea is to try to get this into the 'mainstream' and, as
with newspapers, etc., it will (more than likely) be used in black on white
when it becomes more common to see SW all over. I know everyone would ENJOY
the colour, because it does add to the overall impression of the piece, but
to work at this becoming a regular tool for everyday communication, I think
it's best to leave it as it is - like most books are, as you mentioned. (My
little ones had fun anyway, they just coloured in the bits of Goldilocks
that they wanted coloured!)

The next point you mentioned was this (and sorry to clip so much of the
older posts, folks, but I'm assuming some would be lost in this conversation
without the lengthy clips...)

I wrote,
>We're still having a 'thing' (amongst the adults) with facial expressions
>(the children are great at drawing the faces) and, to be honest, I'm
>beginning to believe that - for some - having facial expressions in or
>leaving them out may be akin to the way some people use (or don't use!)
>punctuation in written English. Some are more precise in their writing and
>others just put in enough (in their opinion) to get the message across.
>Personalities prevail, I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie replied...
I think this makes perfect sense. I probably wrote too many facial
expressions from the video - they were so much fun to write I couldn't stop
myself - ha!

So here is my question - forgetting writing (for the moment) - could
everyone READ the facial expressions? If they could read them, even if they
could "take them or leave them" - if they were readable that means
something to me.

Yes, Valerie, they were very readable. In fact, I pointed out to one of the
older students (the least compliant of the group when it comes to facial
expressions!) that he was able to pick them up quite easily even though he
didn't want to write them himself. Again, I'm really thinking this has to
do with the personalities coming out in the writing (and since I'm a
certified Graphoanalyst this is an important aspect of this project for me).
I think it will be like most things, some people will be very precise and
include all or most facial expressions, some will slip by with as few
details as they can to make themselves understood. Kind of like in all
written languages (and 'kind of' like this sentence. I could write "It is
kind of like..." but I'm trying for brevity (believe it or not) so just
dropped off the bits I didn't feel necessary to make myself understood.
Proof positive that SW is a living, growing thing!!) I haven't had a chance
to document which facial expressions they really feel are necessary but, as
discussed earlier on this list, the ones which indicate change of content
seem most valuable to all right now.

Finally, Valerie asked...

Have they learned any spoken language from this, do you think? What do you
think the children are gaining from learning to read advanced-level
SignWriting?

My reply...
I think that question about spoken language is most interesting and,
unfortunately, I don't have an answer really! I haven't actually noticed
anything that would necessarily suggest this, however, I'm wondering if I
were to be sitting with them and going through an English book - would I
notice they were able to 'read' it with more ease? Not sure, but I'll keep
an eye on this and let you know.

As far as what they are gaining from learning to read advanced level SW?
They feel great about themselves. They know this is a major project and
they are part of it and they feel proud of their accomplishments and
delighted with their abilities. It's wonderful to see and it's giving them
a REAL tool to use in their life. As well, they'll be good and ready to
read the barrage of SW materials which will be flooding the planet VERY
SOON, right Valerie??!

Hope this answers some of the questions, APOLOGIES AGAIN for the horrible
delay...

all the best,

Kathy Akehurst
private tutor
Ontario, Canada

  Replies Author Date
1736 Color Coding... Valerie Sutton Thu  8/26/1999
1737 Writing Facial Expressions.... Valerie Sutton Thu  8/26/1999
1738 Re: SWLProject Valerie Sutton Thu  8/26/1999
1742 Re: SWLProject Ronald H Dettloff Thu  8/26/1999
1766 Bible Site Written in SignWriting Valerie Sutton Mon  8/30/1999
1747 Re: SWLProject Lourdes Tollette Fri  8/27/1999
1749 SWLProject Akehurst Fri  8/27/1999
1787 Any advice for teachers? Valerie Sutton Fri  9/3/1999

  Message 1729  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index