forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2504  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Trevor Jenkins
Date:  Thu Dec 16, 1999  8:30 pm
Subject:  Re: Comparison of SignWriting with ASL Notation?

On Wednesday, 15 December, 1999 22:34:22, Angus B. Grieve-Smith
wrote:

> Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Any answer :-) will prompt me to ask further questions such as are there any
>> utility programs that can convert between the two? Are there metafont
>> descriptions of the ASL notation and, if dare I ask it, of SignWriting
>> symbols?
>
> I'd like to eventually see programs that can convert between
> SignWriting and Stokoe, between Stokoe and SignFont, etc.

Something for me to think about whilst I'm at home fighting off a virus.

> When I
> created my Stokoe font, I looked into MetaFont, but since there weren't
> any obvious ways of translating from MetaFont to TrueType or Type 1,

I vaguely recall seeing mention of a TrueType to Type 1 convertor but with
recent changes to PostScript and PDF so that TrueType fonts can be used
"native" the requirement for such a tool isn't so necessary. (It may have
been that this TrueType to Type 1 convertor was another "thinkware" projects
of mine.)

Whilst not producing Type 1 output metapost can create Type 3 fonts. One of
the problems with metafont and its metapost derivative is that the device
resolution is part of the specification. The hint info that makes Type 1
fonts so useful isn't to be had from metapost.

> chose instead to create a TrueType font in Fontographer. I'd like to
> have MetaFont descriptions of all these, but I don't know if I'll ever
> find the time to learn MetaFont.

I don't really have the time either but as a computing scientist I see it my
mission to learn all these odd "computer" languages. :-)

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language. So recognise it now.

--

<>< Re: deemed!

  Replies Author Date
2508 Re: Comparison of SignWriting with ASL Notation? Susanne Bentele Fri  12/17/1999

  Message 2504  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index