forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3034  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Mar 9, 2000  4:38 pm
Subject:  How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1

On 3/6/00, Stuart Thiessen wrote:

>My first question in regard to all of this is: What are some good tips you
>have found for transcribing a videotape? The process I am planning so far is:
>
>1. Begin by getting the basic signs down.
>
>2. Review that initial transcription by adding any non-manual material such
>as facial expressions, pauses, etc.
>
>3. Continue to review it until we are sure that there are no other manual
>or non-manual elements that need to be included.

-------------------------------------

SignWriting List
March 9, 2000

Thank you, Stuart, for your questions about transcribing from video.
I am sure there are many ways to go about the job, and certainly
everyone has to choose their own way of working.

But let me share with you what I have learned, and also how I think,
when I am transcribing.

1. Write directly in SignWriting. Do not think in English or any
other spoken language.

2. Do not worry about what the signs mean in the beginning. In the
beginning, what matters is "seeing" each sign from a movement
perspective. A little like an interpreter, you do not stand in
judgement of what is being said...instead you are "a neutral scribe".

3. Do not see something as "manual" or "non-manual". Those linguistic
terms have nothing to do with SignWriting, and they will trap you
into limitations of the past. SignWriting sees the signs as "whole
units". Just as a Deaf child read signs quickly in "whole units"
....the same is true when writing the signs. The SW scribe needs to
write the signs in whole units too....you will end up with a more
"true to ASL" transcription later if you can learn this technique.

4. What happens if you write too many facial expressions? So far, it
appears that that is not serious. But what is serious is to eliminate
necessary facial expressions...so for now, I would suggest writing
any facial expression that "feels" necessary to understand the sign.

Now....having said all this....you don't have to tell me that you may
think differently than I do...I am sure we all take notes in English
or other spoken languages in different ways too!

I will be posting a series of new email messages in the next few
days, continuing this theme, since I have much more to share with
you, regarding techniques for transcribing videos.....

Thanks for your questions, Stuart, and congratulations once again on
your permission to transcribe!