forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3171  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Mar 23, 2000  8:45 pm
Subject:  Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online

On 3/23/00, Akehurst wrote:

>I'm just wondering whether those of us who don't have the video will be able
>to follow the thread once the transcription actually begins (given that we
>aren't seeing the actual video transcribed), or will it be taken to a
>separate sublist or how will this work? I hate to miss out on anything.

SignWriting List
March 23, 2000

Smile...no we will not be placing anything on another
List...everything will be on the SignWriting List.

As far as following what is happening, obviously if a person truly
participates they will get much more out of it.

For those on the List who choose not to participate, they will see
..GIFs of different ways to write the same signs, and my comments..so
I should think the observers should get something out of it too....

At the moment we only have two students, Mark Penner and Wayne Smith,
and both of them already know the signed language being written....

The idea of the course was to teach people to write a signed language
they don't know...that way they will really learn SignWriting and not
get caught up with the meanings of signs...

The best way to learn SignWriting is to learn the "generic writing
system" that is not connected to any one language...

For me to conduct this course for free, I will need another three
students - it is OK if people don't want to do it - I certainly
understand being too busy...we can always try again in the Fall ;-)

Thanks for writing, Kathy -