forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3330  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne in Maine
Date:  Fri May 5, 2000  8:55 am
Subject:  SW in Databases

Valerie wrote:
>By the way, would anyone benefit from a dictionary database in
>SignWriting that is composed of signs pasted into Microsoft Excel, or
>FileMaker? In other words...into existing database software?
>
>Of course it would be some work, but when I heard that the
>Swiss-German project was using FileMaker in this way, I started to
>realize that this might bring the dictionaries into another
>environment other than SignWriter...what do you think?
>
>I have now installed FileMaker 5.0 on my computer, and apparently
>databases can be "uploaded to the web"...so I am hoping to try a
>small FileMaker database later, and post it on our SignBank Site to
>see if it is useful to people.

Valerie -
I think this would be an excellent idea. I envision using SignWriting
for research purposes, but so far have been unable to figure out a way to
put the SW symbols into a database. I usually use Microsoft Works, but am
also learning Microsoft Access, which is compatible with Excel. I don't
know anything about FileMaker. Who makes that? I would be extremely,
extremely interested in any news you have along these lines.
Love,
- Wayne

  Replies Author Date
3331 Flemish Fingerspelling Design Posted Valerie Sutton Fri  5/5/2000
3332 Announcement About SignWriter Valerie Sutton Fri  5/5/2000
3336 Re: SW in Databases Valerie Sutton Sat  5/6/2000
3340 Re: SW in Databases Trevor Jenkins Sat  5/6/2000
3341 Re: SW in Databases Valerie Sutton Sat  5/6/2000
3348 Re: SW in Databases Trevor Jenkins Sun  5/7/2000
3352 Re: SW in Databases Valerie Sutton Sun  5/7/2000
3358 Re: SW in Databases Stuart Thiessen Mon  5/8/2000
3362 Re: SW in Databases Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  5/8/2000

  Message 3330  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index