forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3589  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jun 17, 2000  3:11 am
Subject:  Re: Irish Blessing "peace"

At 1:05 AM +0200 6/17/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>Last question - comment to your gif1
>What about guessing about the endpositions of the hands? I assume that the
>palms are parallel to the floor in the end - both palms down is this
>correct? Do you think we should express that with additional endpositions
>for the hands as there direction has changed ?
>
>Thanks so much for your attention. Discussing signs in detail helps to
>understand.

SignWriting List
June 16, 2000

Hi Stefan -
Thanks for your two messages. I am glad to know that your Deaf
students did not have problems with the details changing in the
spelling of signs...I figured that would be the case.

It takes time for spelling to become established - it took centuries
for English, for example, and during the time that spelling was being
standardized people still wrote to each other and Shakespeare still
wrote plays, even though they spelled the words differently in every
county in England!

So all this will become standardized through use. We are, in our tiny
way, making history by being the first to try out new spellings to
see what can be read well, and what cannot.

When it co

  Message 3589  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index