forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3619  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jun 19, 2000  9:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Chami

At 5:48 PM +0200 6/2/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>Introducing new SW - words (what is the term for this - Valerie - ??)
>"new written signs " it is so easy. I explain the new card and thatīs it.
>Do you understand what I mean ? The little students learn the meaning of new
>spellings soooooo quickly. It is a mystery to me ! Compared to this it is
>really hard work - time-consuming - to learn the spelling and articulation
>of new German words.

SignWriting List
June 19, 2000

Thanks for all the stunning feedback in this message, Stefan, which
was posted on June 2nd. I just read it today and it is filled with
important information about your students typing SignWriting etc -
great feedback!

In regards to your question above, I have always used the terms this way:

words......belong to spoken languages
signs........belong to signed languages

both communicate concepts...but a sign is not a word, and a word is
not a sign...

I know others define those terms differently, but that explains why I
would say that you are "introducing new signs written in SignWriting"
or simply "introducing new written signs". Because from my
definition, you cannot write a sign with a German or English word -
to write a sign it has to be written in the movements of signs.

Thanks for all your encouragement to others....

https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

  Message 3619  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index