forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3848  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 14, 2000  1:31 am
Subject:  Re: writing of left or right angle hand positions

At 12:20 AM +0100 8/9/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:

>I tried to write some of these. Do you agree . This exercise helped me a lot
>to understand better :-))).

SignWriting List
August 13, 2000

Hello Everyone on the SW List ;-)

And thank you, Stefan, for your attachment below. It is very well
written and all of them look fine to me.

There is one thing I want to share with you...

Some signs may be exceptions to the rules because it simply "feels
and works better" in another way, and so I want you to keep an "open
mind" and not be too rigid. All written languages have some
exceptions to their writing rules...why? Because language cannot be
regimented into rows - it is based on freedom of expression - and I
have always kept that in mind while inventing the symbols. That is
why Deaf children are reading fluently without knowing the details
behind the system.

So...when you look at our little ASL dictionary, you will find that
the native signers who wrote the dictionary wrote without the rules
that the Parkhurst's established. Those rules began in 1999, and our
dictionary was written in 1995. So we had no rules at that time..

I hope to start some very basic lessons on the List for beginners
soon...So all this will become clearer soon ;-)

Thanks for your attachment, Stefan!
Attachment
Angle_Hand_-_slant_stages.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 3848  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index