forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3939  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  12:43 am
Subject:  Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files

SignWriting List
September 19, 2000
5:30pm

Hello Everyone!
I just want to thank all of you for your support and good ideas! ;-)

Have you ever had a day when you spend the ENTIRE day on your
computer trying to get something to work, and it STILL isn't working
at 5:00 pm?!!

That was the kind of day I had today! (grin ;-)

I can tell you where I am at the moment....

I installed Adobe Acrobat 4.0 on my Windows computer, and from the
Adobe CD-ROM, I installed Adobe's Postscript Driver called:

"Generic Postscript Printer".

And I chose the option:

FILE: Creates a File on Disk

So the Generic Postscript Printer is my default and it is printing to
a postscript file on disk.

And it works beautifully with files that are NOT SignWriter (smile ;-)

I can take any text document in Windows, and drag it on top of the
Generic Postscript Printer icon, and the text document is converted
quickly to a .ps file (a postscript file). Then I double-click on the
..ps file, and it opens Acrobat Distiller immediately and presto - a
great .pdf file!

However, if you drag an .SGN file on top of the Generic Postscript
Printer icon, you get a message saying that there is no program
associated with that kind of file and then it gives instructions on
how to make SignWriter acknowledged, but everytime I went through
different steps it refused to accept it. So I called Adobe Tech
Support, and the technician I talked to thought that all of you are
100% correct - that another shareware program like prn2 is necessary
in our case.

So I downloaded the shareware - thanks sooooo much Angus! Without
you, we would be nowhere....I am truly grateful -

However, I still have not been able to get it to work yet...but that
is just me, and has nothing to do with your advice or the prn2file
shareware....I am a true beginner when it comes to some parts of
MS-DOS...I have never created an autoexec.bat file in my life (we Mac
people are spoiled) - but there is always a first time - ha! And that
will have to be tonight or tomorrow, as I am under pressure to get
this to work.

At the moment, I tell SignWriter to print, and it prints, but then
the resulting file is nowhere to be found.

When I open prn2file.com...it tells me it is set up for LPT1...but
Jerry and Stefan used LPT2...so I have to figure it out some more - I
don't know how to change it to LPT2 - that is how MS-DOS illiterate I
am!

If anyone thought I knew a lot about computers - well think again - ha!

Glad to hear, Stuart, that you received the donated materials! Hope
you enjoy teaching SignWriting -

Have a great evening everyone -

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:

3940 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  9/20/2000

  Message 3939  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index