forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5183  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 27, 2001  6:08 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign-Symbol-Sequence (SSS)

Charles Butler wrote:
>One quick question here, in the SSS which comes first, the right or left
>hand? The 48 positions you show only show the right hand and the rotation
>counterclockwise (toward the centerline of the body).
>
>Should one also include the 48 positions of the left hand and the rotation
>clockwise (toward the centerline of the body), first, as a given sign is to
>be read from left to right, at first glance, for cataloguing?

SignWriting List
June 27, 2001

What an excellent question, Charles! You obviously have been doing
some "sorting by SSS" lately!

The default "sorting routine" for the SSS in our SignBank database at
present, is the following:

1. Handshape Rotating Counter Clockwise (48 hand symbols)
2. Handshape Flopped & Rotating Clockwise (48 hand symbols)

That would mean that in the Expressive View, the right hand is first
and the left hand is second. In the Receptive View, the left is first
and the right hand second (ignore this please!).

The Default is the way I think it should work, but we can play with
other sorting routines in the database too...for experimenting to see
what else works well...so we will not be tied to something if it is
proven not usable, and I can always change the default in the program
later, if we learn that something is not working.

I am preparing the sequencing numbers now, Charles, so hold your
horses - Maybe by tonight I can have it posted -

Many blessings -
--

Val ;->