forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5203  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 29, 2001  12:57 am
Subject:  Re: Start and End Positions

SignWriting List
June 28, 2001

Thank you for the question!

ANSWER, PART ONE:
For accuracy, the very best choice is to write BOTH the beginning and
ending position. Then there is no question what to do. For those who
do not know the sign, this gives the most concrete information.

One position can be taken away for speed in writing, but when a
position is taken away, you run the risk that it will not be read
correctly by everyone. There are rules to follow, which I will give
you later. Mostly, people memorize these spellings, so after awhile,
the rules have little meaning, but people read the signs anyway.

In the example you gave, we were fortunate that you wrote both the
beginning and ending positions. When I read both positions, I
realized that you really meant to use another Finger Movement Symbol.
Without the second position, I would never have realized there was
contact with the fingertips and thumb.

Dots mean movement from the middle of the finger only. Two dots
placed over the first position would not mean that the fingertips
touch the thumb in the second position. It would mean that the
fingers are wiggling up and down, without reaching the thumb.

For the fingertips and thumb to touch twice, you will need the Hinge
Movement Symbol, made by the Knuckle Joint. Below is an example. This
answer will continue, so read the next message!

Attachment
less098.gif
Type: image/gif

5204 Re: Start and End Positions Valerie Sutton Fri  6/29/2001
5205 Re: Start and End Positions Valerie Sutton Fri  6/29/2001

  Message 5203  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index