forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5206  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Fri Jun 29, 2001  3:40 pm
Subject:  Re: Start and End Positions

Hi Valeri ,

thank you very much for this excellent lesson - I learned a lot and I agree
completely with your comments.
Let me comment one little aspect of your message :

" ...... There are rules to follow, which I will give
> you later. Mostly, people memorize these spellings, so after awhile,
> the rules have little meaning, but people read the signs anyway. "

You are absolutely right. This is the critical point we have to keep in
mind- to accept any spelling as a description of a familiar sign is no
problem at all to the reader who is not used to analyze any sign and who is
not fmiliar with the rules ---
The littel child (Gordian with his 3 years !!!!!!!) or the beginner in SW
shows us that you can "read" so many signs just like piktograms -

But if it comes to start to write on your own - you have to understand much
more- and therefore we need to learn about spelling rules, standards,
convenient agreements as much as we can -

I myself love to study any spelling question. And every time there are
aspects I remember or I focus upon which are a help to improve my SW writing
skills.

So thank you Chris for your question and thank you Valerie for yout teaching
lesson !!

Stefan ;-)