forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5487  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa
Date:  Wed Aug 15, 2001  10:31 pm
Subject:  Re: SW Touch Screen Keypad

Valerie,

Please, take a look at

https://atlas.ucpel.tche.br/~fabinha

Handwriting recognition by computers seems to have evolved
to a trade off situation: computers are not able to recognize
fully free handwritten texts, but there are many programs that
are able to recognize free texts written with "standardized"
hand movements (that is the principle used in Palm computers).

The page shows a few exercises done by Fabiana, a student
working with me, in the direction of getting a "standardized"
way of moving the hand in writing SignWriting shorthand.

She took a page of Valerie's book on SW shorthand and designed
the ways of writing signs so that a computer program could
recognize it. The signs are input by free hand, using a tablet
and an electronic pen. The demo program that comes with the tablet
allows the definition of 12 symbols at a time.

Fabiana was able to define all the symbols and make the
program recognize them.

Fabiana's work shows the way I feel is the best one to allow
fast input of SW symbols: not typing, but writing them, in the
shorthand format, as they would be written on paper.

Any comment or suggestion about the work will be highly
welcome! Send email to me or to Fabiana herself:

).

All the best,

Antônio Carlos