forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5626  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Sep 15, 2001  4:22 am
Subject:  Deaf Students' Expression of Sorrow

SignWriting List
September 14, 2001

My dear friends, Stefan, Irina, and everyone -

Thank you for the SignWriting messages expressing sorrow over the
tragedy. Your SignWriting is clearly written. It helps to write about
sorrow.

We are in shock here. Work stopped for me since Tuesday. Although
none of my family was killed, it still feels like it. Friends were
killed. The attack was on the world, not just the US, since many
people from all over the world...educated and dedicated
people...worked at the World Trade Center. The name of the towers
means just that "the World Center"...and so they attacked the world
on Tuesday....

I can imagine your poor children and students must be
frightened...but we will do our best through SignWriting to give them
a channel of expression -

....And through continued positive thinking and belief in a higher
power, we can all change the world for the better...and we all must
work to do so...for the next generation.

I am writing my responses to the Deaf children in SignWriting right
now. I am not a teacher of ASL, but I do sign with Deaf friends, so
you can tell your students that Valerie knows her symbols, but Deaf
people are the experts on the signs themselves!...I write ASL with a
hearing person's accent ;-)

Please give all your Deaf students a big hug from me. Tell Irina that
"Yes...I did see the horrible news on television too"...and "Yes...it
is bad, but we are going to make it better again, and she must not be
frightened." I hope she and her classmates will write more
SignWriting about their feelings, and send them to me. Then I will
post them on the front page of my web site, along with messages from
the Deaf students in New Mexico.

And Stefan, I saw your web pages and they are absolutley wonderful -
the drawings on beautiful - what talented students you have!

Please see my next message for my response to Irina -

5627 Re: Deaf Students' Expression of Sorrow Valerie Sutton Sat  9/15/2001

  Message 5626  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index