forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6139  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  12:55 pm
Subject:  Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting!

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Angus - You wouldn't have to download, since it would be on a
> CD...that was my point - I was going to have this on a special CD that
> can access all these files from a CD, without internet connection -

Unfortunately, my experience is that people find it much easier to
download something than to request a CD. If prepared without large
images, these files would be under 100K, and would take less than a minute
to download on even a relatively slow connection. Compare that to the
process of emailing your snail mail address to an unknown person, and
waiting for a CD to be shipped halfway around the world.

You'd still find people willing and interested in the CD, but much
less than would just have downloaded the PDF file. And we're talking
about people who might be skeptical about SignWriting to begin with.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 6139  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index