forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1011  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Joe Martin
Date:  Wed Feb 10, 1999  7:11 pm
Subject:  Re: Children Learning SignWriting

This is something linguists in general haven't figured out yet, but..
David McNeil, at the U of Chicago, has done a lot of work showing that
gesture (not Signing) is linked biologically to the use of language.
Susan Goldin-Meadow also , has tracked the development of those gestures
into a proto-linguistic system, which is the basis of home signs. In the
case of non-hearing children this system evolves straight into Signing.
All this happens prior to the onset of speech. (Speaking requires more
physiological development, for one thing, and comes later) Given the
transparent nature of the signwriiting symbols, it seems logical that kids
could copy them using the same set of cognitive skills they have used to
copy actual physical gestures; eliminating the complex job of matching the
language with highly abstract written squiggles.
So it seems likely that kids could learn to read much earlier.
Hmmmmm.....

Joe