forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1010  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Feb 10, 1999  6:36 pm
Subject:  Re: Children Learning SignWriting

>One reason my class came up with and it makes a great deal of sense to me
>is that the motor development for hands occur at a younger age than does
>speech. I'm not sure if research proved that to be true. It's been
>awhile since I last took class and learned all this information.
>
>Jean
_____________________

Motor skills may be one reason, Jean, but I think there may be other
reasons added to it.

For example, speech is strangely "non-visual" and maybe it takes longer for
the brain to develop connecting sounds with language. But watching Mommie
sign is a "visual experience". So repeating what Mommie says in a signed
language my be easier because the eyes and the "visual connection" to
language may develop faster. I have no idea if this true myself! I am just
sharing an idea and asking questions...

I am wondering if the visual nature of SignWriting will speed reading
skills, who knows?...

Valerie ':-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SW

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1011 Re: Children Learning SignWriting Joe Martin Wed  2/10/1999

  Message 1010  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index