forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1055  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Feb 17, 1999  6:01 pm
Subject:  Writing ASL Sentences

February 17, 1999

Dear SignWriting List Members!

Thank you for your attached documents - I have received several documents
typed in SignWriting, attached to email messages, in the past few hours.
Isn't that great?! You are really getting skilled at typing with SignWriter
:-)

I know that the grammar of signed languages is different in every language
- and of course that makes it complicated to teach you all how to write
grammar on this List - since this is an international list.

In ASL, we have found that most sentences begin with the eyebrows up - in
other words - the sentences begin with a "topic marker", which means the
eyebrows are raised.

So for those of you sending me ASL documents, remember to start the
sentences with eyebrows up - it is a little like the capital letter at the
beginning of English sentences -" Eyebrows Up" is usually the beginning of
most ASL sentences.

You can read more about this on our web site:

Writing ASL Grammar
Lesson 1: Topic Markers
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw149.html

What is it like in other signed languages? Do you also start sentences with
Eyebrows Up?

Valerie ':-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SW

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1055  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index