forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1088  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Feb 22, 1999  4:03 am
Subject:  Short SW Report :-)

February 21, 1999

Hello Everyone -
Today is Sunday and although Sundays are generally wonderful, this one had
its frustrations...my computer decided to break down. I had "all these
plans"(grin)...but...of course the day was spent trying to ressurrect the
problem, and I have only succeeded temporarily. This poor computer will be
going to the hospital tomorrow morning!

I depend upon my three computers so much these days, that when one of them
breaks, it is like losing an arm! Each one is used for a different task.
The one that broke down is the one I usually use for email and web design,
so if for any reason you do not receive many messages from me in the next
two days, please understand why...

Meanwhile, let me share with you what is happening here....I am
"off-schedule" on posting Special Features on our web site because other
important tasks came in the way. I have received several orders for
multiple copies of our SW books and software recently, and I print the
books only when the orders are received. This means that I have been doing
nothing but putting books together and shipping them. It is important that
I take care of the orders when they are received, since it brings in income
to our organization. I volunteer my time, as you know, but we need the
income to pay for the ink, and the paper to print on, and to fix our
computers, and so forth.

I am also printing and donating approximately 80 books to the Albuquerque
Public Schools. As you know, Cecilia Flood will be starting her research
project later this Spring, and as a part of the SW Literacy Project I will
be sending Cecilia copies of Reading Level 1, 2, 3 and 4, plus
dictionaries, flashcards and videos. I enjoy printing these books and
laminating the covers and binding them. It is very creative and I feel
fortunate to be able to give these gifts to the children in Albuquerque :-)

I also feel very fortunate that Cecilia will be conducting an official
research project. It will be the third research project studying how
children learn SignWriting, and the first here in the USA. So while I am
printing the books, I think of this new project, and wonder how the
children will respond to the books I am creating :-)

I will also be sending Reading Level 3 & 4 to the other participating
groups in the SW Literacy Project. Between printing books on the "good
computer", and getting the "bad one" fixed, this coming week is full! I
hope to send the books to all the SW Literacy Project teachers by the first
week in March - at least that is my goal.

In regards to the Special Features and the broken schedules, ...clearly
under the circumstances I am not able to stick to exact dates. But I can
tell you that the "next posting" will be Reading Level 3 & 4 (the advanced
reading lesson), and then Brazil is also waiting for the Sequential Finger
Movement lesson online - So those are the two next postings...and I will do
them after I ship the books to the schools :-)

Meanwhile, many thanks for your private messages - I have not forgotten any
of you, and I always enjoy hearing from you...I am so looking forward to
getting a stable computer again, and I look forward to writing to you from
it!!

Have a wonderful week everyone ...

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1088  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index