forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1099  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Feb 25, 1999  4:19 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Grammar

>Rats! there was this really informative message from Spain, that I wanted
>to print, and I hit the wrong button and deleted it. Could someone please
>resend it to me? (^_^)
>
>And while I'm here, how do you guys write relative clauses?
>
>Joe Martin
>Plain old ordinary student
>Top Left Corner, USA
____________________________

February 25, 1999

Good Morning Everyone!

Yes...the message from the Parkhursts from Spain was terrific and I am
looking forward to discussing it more too....I will be happy to send it to
you, Joe.

And yes...of course we write relative clauses in SignWriting.

In regards to writing relative clauses...We have a series of "Writing ASL
Grammar Lessons", written by Dr. Karen van Hoek and signed in ASL by Butch
Zein. Only two of those lessons are posted on the web at the moment,
although I am planning to post them all someday. As you know, doing web
postings is much more work than writing a chapter in a book, so that is why
web postings do not happen as quickly. Once they are posted, however, they
are wonderful because they can be accessed by people all over the world -
an amazing technological development.

So...anyway...one of those "Writing ASL Grammar Lessons" is specifically on
relative clauses and how we write them in SignWriting.

I had planned to post how we write questions in ASL, as our next grammar
lesson online, but if you would prefer ....I could post the relative
clauses lesson first...would you prefer that?

Some of the ASL Grammar Lessons we have are...

Writing Topic Markers (already posted)
Writing Spatial Comparisons (already posted)
Writing Sentences That Ask Questions (next in line to be posted)
Writing Relative Clauses
Writing Conditionals
Writing Adverbs
Writing Adjectives
Writing Classifiers

and a new chapter....
Writing Verb Conjugations...

will be written by me, since I have experience writing American and Danish
Sign Language verbs in SignWriting. Some of the verbs have at least 40
different "changes" or "conjugations" or "modulations" to them. I know
different terminology is used around the world for these verb"conjugations"
- in SignWriting there is no terminology - we just write them!

You can find one verb "to help" in our ASL Dictionary, in the SignWriter
Computer Program, with around 32 conjugations...anyone can access this if
you have our shareware...just open the dictionary and type the word "help"
and you will find at least 30 variations of the one verb.

Unfortunately I must get back to printing books. I only have one computer
right now. This evening I am hoping I will have the second computer, fixed
and working, back in my office. If so, then I can be on the internet while
I am printing on the other computer simultaneously, and then work goes
faster.

Thanks for your patience -

Have a splendid day!!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1099  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index