forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1158  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Apr 21, 1999  3:39 pm
Subject:  Swiss-German SignWriter

April 21, 1999

Dear SW List -
For the past two days I have been working on the new Swiss-German version
of the SignWriter Computer Program. Researchers in Basel, Switzerland,
translated all of the messages that appear on the screen into German for
me. So yesterday, I "entered" those German messages and commands into the
SignWriter Computer Program. So now, when people purchase the complete
SignWriter program, they will be able to switch to any of 9 spoken
languages: Danish, English, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese,
Spanish, Swedish...and now German.

I also created a new Fingerspelling Keyboard for Swiss-German Sign
Language. I based it on illustrations of Swiss-German Fingerspelling that
the Swiss researchers sent me. They informed me, however, that not every
person in Switzerland uses the same fingerspelling system, so this is just
one possible version. We can always include other Fingerspelling keyboards
for Switzerland too, later, if necessary. Plus, when entering the
SignWriting symbols, I was not sure of three movements that were pictured
in the illustrations they sent me, so I had to guess at the movements.
Therefore I consider the Swiss-German Fingerspelling Keyboard only a "rough
draft". I have sent it to Switzerland, and I hope to improve the keyboard
with their input.

The 15 countries now included in SignWriter have "country codes".
Swiss-German is country code 041. In SignWriter, you can switch from
country to country, by changing country codes under "Setup" in the opening
menu.

For those of you who have purchased the SignWriter Computer Program and are
registered users, no matter what version you have, I will be happy to
update you with new disks for no charge. That will give you the 9 spoken
languages and the 15 fingerspelling keyboards.

For those of you who have downloaded the shareware...the shareware is only
for English and ASL, so there is no update for the shareware.

While I was typing German words and Swiss-German Fingerspelling yesterday,
I received a long fax from the Republic of China (Taiwan). It was from a
linguist at the Taipei City Government, who is recording Taiwan Sign
Language! He ordered our books and computer program. It was a very
"international' day!

Hmmm...I wonder what Taiwanese Fingerspelling looks like ? :-)

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1158  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index