forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1181  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Apr 28, 1999  2:03 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriter manuals in Norwegian

April 28, 1999

Thanks, Ingvild, for this great message. The other day I was going through
some old papers, and I found a copy of several of your translations into
Norwegian. And sure enough... I found a copy of your Norwegian translation
of the SignWriter manuals, and also your Norwegian textbook on SignWriting
- what a lot of work you have done! The books are great :-)

For those of you on the SignWriting List who may not be aware, SignWriting
has been used in two schools in Norway since 1988. For more information,
you can read about it on the web:

SignWriting In Norway
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw113.html

Best -
Valerie

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>From: "Ingvild Kristine Roald"
>To: SignWriting
>Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:52:11 +0000
>Subject: SignWriter manuals in Norwegian
>
>Hi all,
>
>yesterday Valerie said that the commands on spoken languages other
>than English were only on the screen, not in manuals. But since it is
>a long time ago that we got the first Norwegan translation (for
>version 3.0!) and also the translation for the 4.x , and with all her
>workload and everything, it is no wonder she has forgotten. These are
>not distributed by the DAC or Valerie, but by
>
>Vestlandet Kompetansesenter,
>Bjorkasen vg. Skole
>Nedre Bjorkasen 15
>N-5227 NESTTUN
>Norway
>
>They may be of help to Danes and Swedes besides Norwegians, even if the
><Alt+letter> commands are different.
>
>There also is a textbook for learning SignWriting, called "To read and
>write SIGN by Suttons SignWriting", a bit dated, but I hope to start
>a revision with the help of deaf friends when we have crossed the
>millenium.
>
>SignWriting has been part of the curriculum for those in the general
>stream of the upper secondary school for about 10 years now. Only an
>introduction, but nevertheless. Besides, I have been into classes in
>the elementary school, showing them some of the features, and the
>children seem to take to it very fast indeed! After half an hour of
>instruction, they can read quite complicated sentences with symbols
>they have not been shown. I think that is great.
>
> Good luck to you all,
>
>Ingvild
>

>Ingvild Kristine Roald
>Institutt for Praktisk Pedagogikk
>Universitetet i Bergen
>N-5020 BERGEN
>Norway
>
>e-mail:
>
> UNIV: SCHOOL: PRIVATE:
>tel: +47 55 58 47 98 +47 55 11 86 00 +47 55 28 34 34
>fax: +47 55 58 48 80 +47 55 11 86 01
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1181  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index