forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1214  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed May 5, 1999  3:38 pm
Subject:  Re: Questions About SW

>"My question is has there been an increase of books published by Deaf people
>using the sign writing method?. Also do you know if sign writing will be
>recognized at the governamental level in the near future?"
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for this question. I have no idea whether SignWriting will be
recognized at the governmental level....maybe someday - who knows? It
depends on the country and their internal structure.

In the USA, American Sign Language itself has had to fight to be recognized
at the governmental level, and people have been fighting for that for
years. So I am happy to know that individual schools are using SignWriting.

Yes, there is an increase of publications by Deaf people. People use
SignWriting all over the world, and they do not always tell me what they
are doing - But everyday I receive email from people telling me they have
written "this" or "that" in SignWriting...and it always amazes me.

I hope that more and more Deaf people will contribute articles to our web
site. Do all of you know that we have a "Deaf Authors" section on the web?
These particular articles are not "translations" of well know works.
Instead, they are original documents composed by and for Deaf people. This
is what we have up on the web at the moment. Someday I would like to add
Deaf poetry etc....

Deaf Author's Series Directory
https://www.SignWriting.org/authors.html

Deaf Author's Series
"Deaf Protest at Gallaudet" by Kevin Clark
https://www.SignWriting.org/gally01.html

Deaf Author's Series
"Fond Memories" by Paulette Sottak
https://www.SignWriting.org/fond01.html

Deaf Author's Series
"The NAD" by Donald Baer
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw170.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1214  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index