forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1215  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 6, 1999  1:49 am
Subject:  Re: SW course in Spain

Steve & Dianne Parkhurst wrote:
>Below is a short evaluation of a course in SignWriting that we just
>completed here in Spain. A recent message to the list asked, "How long does
>it take to learn SW?" Here is a description of what we did in two weeks
>time. I think it is important to point out that there is a difference in
>being able to write a few signs and being able to write sign language.
>After the first day students were writing and reading signs. But it takes a
>lot longer to be able to write the sign language with all its richness. By
>the way, the students proposed a new sign for SignWriting (SignoEscritura).
>The palm of the dominant hand (5 handshape) touches the chin (this is the
>sign here for "sign") then the hand drops down so that the back of the hand
>touches the palm of the other hand. This signifies "signs put on paper".
>For what it's worth, here's our summary of what has been going on here in
>Spain. Happy reading! :-)
>
>Steve and Dianne Parkhurst

May 5, 1999

Thank you, Steve and Dianne, for your outstanding report from Spain. It was
worth a great deal! I am filled with amazement after reading it - you have
accomplished so much...

And congratulations on teaching SignWriting to the Spanish National
Confederation of the Deaf in Madrid. That is an important group to teach!

I would assume that those are the leaders in the Deaf Community in Madrid?
It's great that the courses are continuing - Your progress reports will be
important. Thank you for sharing with us :-)

Does the National Confederation of the Deaf have any influence over Deaf
education? I would be curious to know how members of the Deaf Community
view SignWriting for younger Deaf children in Spain?

Please tell your group, that we all look forward to reading their
literature in Spanish Sign Language, especially their Deaf poetry. I have
already read some, and it is very beautiful :-)

And I will be happy to post their literature on our Deaf author's web page
when they feel ready.

For those who are interested, here is the web page for Spain, which once
again, needs to be updated!!

SignWriting In Spain
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw114.html

Oh, and by the way....thank you Steve and Dianne, for the lesson plans. I
will study them to see if we can use the same plans to teach SignWriting in
ASL. I bet we can! That is a great help.

Please give your six-month old son, Spencer, a big hug for me!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1215  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index