forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1258  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 13, 1999  5:16 am
Subject:  Re: learning to read

May 12, 1999

I love the two paragraphs below. Many times Deaf children learn to read
faster than adults...and of course the adults all wonder why!

Part of the reason is that Deaf children seem to "just let it flow". They
are not always as "picky" as adults are, and they allow the natural process
to "happen".

Thank you, Steve and Dianne in Spain, and Kathy in Canada, for documenting
this - It is really exciting that people are truly reading....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Wed, 24 Mar, Steve wrote:
>3. Several times as they were reading they did not understand the meaning
>of a sign. I told them, "don't worry; just keep going." After reading
>several more signs, their faces lit up and they got the meaning. This is
>another important part of reading: understanding context. A lot of signs
>can mean several things if you just look at them in isolation, but in
>context the meaning is clear. The ability to interpret the words (signs) in
>context of what comes before and after is a clue that a person is really
>reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Thu, 8 April, Kathy Akehurst wrote:
Someone's comment recently about not understanding all the SW symbols but
finding that if you just 'kept going' you were able to deduce the meaning of
those few because of clearly understanding the preceding and following ones
is very apt. I tried allowing myself to look only at the symbols in the SW
Level 3 and 4 books (and not the gloss) and found I could figure them out if
I kept going because a few of the elements show up in other symbols and,
gradually, you piece together the meaning of the symbols you hadn't
initially understood. Kind of like 'sounding out' new words! And that is
what reading is all about, to be sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1267 bible verses Joe Martin Thu  5/13/1999

  Message 1258  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index