forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1314  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed May 19, 1999  6:27 pm
Subject:  Re: Researching...

Leslie Wallace wrote:
>2. Will sign writing effect/change hand signing in any way?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think so, and I hope not.

SignWriting is a way to write any body movement. Whatever people sign, we
can write.

Our purpose is not to change how people sign. Instead we want to preserve
the language "as it is signed".

I suppose you can argue that as a writing system becomes established, there
is some influence from the writing of the language, onto the speaking of
that language. But that is pretty minimal, I would suspect.

For example, there may be some new terminology incorporated into the
vocabulary of signing - for example - in Spain, recently, a new "name sign"
developed in Madrid for the term "SignWriting". So there are some new terms
"associated with writing signed languages".

Other than that, I cannot think of ways that SignWriting could change
signing itself.

Can anyone?

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1314  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index