forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1325  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 20, 1999  1:33 pm
Subject:  Re: is it ASL or MIME?

Cecilia Smith wrote:
>This is one area where I think SignWriting will be most benificial, and NTID
>obviously agrees.. and that is in the documentation of specific signs used in
>specialty areas. SignWriting provides a very clear, very recognizable way to
>show what a sign is, and the more specialty dictionaries that can be written
>utilizing sign writing the better.
>
>For me, I have to memorize the signs, until I have learned them and they
>become part of my lexicon. It is the same with English. When I encounter a
>new word, I memorize it, and use it until it is a part of my lexicon. Then
>it is simply another tool that I can use when I need it. SignWriting helps
>me learn the signs easily, so that I can memorize how they look, until I have
>used it often enough that I "have" it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Morning SW List...

...and thanks Cecilia for the above...

Would it help if I someday (when I get time) posted some of the pages from
the NTID Technical Signs manuals? They are a unique blend of SignWriting
movement symbols and life-like illustrations of the signs. And there is a
whole variety of technical terminology in ASL. If you feel it will be
useful, I can plan to do that posting later this summer.

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1325  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index