forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1326  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 20, 1999  3:04 pm
Subject:  Re: informaion for Homeschooling.

>Dawn McReynolds wrote:
>I did an interesting thing the other day to see where she was with
>recognizing the SignWriting. I used one SignWriting symbol and three
>pictures. Just to see how clearly she was reading the SignWriting she hit
>7 out 10 times, She caught on rather fast and loved the challenge..
>
>I'm still just introducing the concept of SignWriting as a means of
>communication and trying to change 11 years of mostly (SEE) Signing Exact
>English. The encouraging thing is the speed and enthusiasm that she has
>for the project.
>
>Any other suggestions I can incorporate this in a light setting?
>Thanks
>Dawn McReynolds

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Dawn!
Thanks for this great report. It sounds like your Deaf daughter is really
learning SignWriting quickly.

You may be ready for the advanced materials sooner than we thought :-)

Meanwhile...in regards to your question about teaching ideas....one
idea.... I sent you a Picture Dictionary written in ASL and English. If you
cover up one language, you can test the other language, and then reverse
it. Have you tried that? There are around 50 signs and words...you can also
see some pages online:

ASL Picture Dictionary Directory
https://www.SignWriting.org/asl001.html

English/ASL Picture Dictionary
https://www.SignWriting.org/asl007.html

ASL/English Picture Dictionary
https://www.SignWriting.org/asl012.html

But....we are still new to teaching SW to Deaf children....so...

Any ideas from the SW List on ways to stimulate children to learn to read
and write?

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
  Message 1326  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index