forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1433  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 9, 1999  7:50 pm
Subject:  Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials

On June 9, Kathy Akehurst wrote:
>Hi Valerie! Even though our group is still fairly scattered (and shall be
>for the remainder of the summer...) I wanted to write and tell you how we
>were doing, to date, with the advanced SW materials. The verdict is in
>and... everybody loves them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 9 at 12:45 California time :-)

Dearest Kathy -
If you had flown from Canada to San Diego and handed me a box with an
enormous yellow ribbon, you could not have given me a better gift than the
message you posted today! ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I hope to post another
message later today, discussing the issues you raised.

For new members of the SW List.....

Kathy is a private tutor of native signing Deaf children and Deaf adults in
Ontario, Canada. Kathy's group is the first to experiment with some new
advanced materials which I first released last March. I do not expect those
materials to really be used in other schools until the Fall semester, so
Kathy's feedback during the summer months is important. I hope to improve
the materials before sending them to the schools in August.

You can read about Kathy's group on the web:

Private Tutor, Ontario, Canada
Contact Teacher: Kathy Akehurst
https://www.SignWriting.org/teach004.html

Plus, you can read excerpts of the advanced materials online. I will be
discussing these books in my next message:

Learn To Read ASL
Introduction
https://www.SignWriting.org/learn001.html

Frame by Frame Instruction
https://www.SignWriting.org/learn005.html

Goldilocks
SW Level 3: Intermediate Storybook
https://www.SignWriting.org/gold000.html

Goldilocks
SW Level 4: Advanced Storybook
https://www.SignWriting.org/gold005.html

Other teachers in the SW Literacy Project will be receiving these materials
in August, so if you are a teacher, you may want to take a look at the
above publications.

I hope you will ask Kathy and me questions about them, since that will help
us improve the materials.

I look forward to continuing this conversation later (smile)... and thanks
once again Kathy!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1433  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index