forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1452  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 11, 1999  2:03 am
Subject:  Re: Computer Terms In Signed Languages

>Well, you have your hands full (a Deaf pun) with the ASL, but one day I'll
>devote a class to the program, and eventually signs will appear.
>
>-- James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James - This is terrific. That is just what I am hoping for...as Deaf
people use SignWriter, they will start discussing how they use the computer
program with each other. Watch those conversations - signs will be
developing naturally. And then ask them to type those terms themselves in
SignWriter 4.3, and then I can add them, and send you new disks in
SignWriter 5.0.

Fingerspelling is not very good for Menus - there really isn't enough room
in headings for fingerspelling - that is why I mentioned the fact that a
lot of computer terminology in the USA is fingerspelled and that is a
problem for the spacing up at the top of the screen- I am hoping that signs
will slowly be developed for the Menus, because signs are more compact for
Menu headings.

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1452  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index