forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1508  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 23, 1999  12:40 am
Subject:  Writing Teeth Biting

James Shepard-Kegl wrote:
>2) For teeth chomping, we use a symbol that can be found first by selecting
>the dash key (right of the zero) and then by selecting the F-key option.
>This symbol is place to one side of the GRITTING-TEETH symbol and signifies
>one chomp. Repeating this symbol side by side, with on symbol upside down,
>indicates multiple chompings.
>
>___ ___
>| | | | |
> | ONE CHOMP | | MULTIPLE CHOMPS
> | | |__|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi James -
Thanks for this message, and I want to wish you a wonderful summer in
Nicaragua!

Meanwhile, I thought I would share this great story - the symbol that James
mentions above was actually originally placed on the SignWriter 4.3
keyboard to help people create their own handshapes - and the symbol was
used for "bent fingers".

But when James and others in Nicaragua needed a way to write teeth biting,
and when they couldn't find the information in our SignWriting textbook (my
fault - it was in the DanceWriting textbook instead!), James and others
searched the keyboard and found the bent-finger symbol and used that to
show the teeth coming down in one bite. Great choice and it is now a part
of SignWriting!

Meanwhile, how do we write it in DanceWriting? We show the same
gritting-teeth symbol, and then place a Strike Contact Symbol next to the
teeth. It shows the teeth striking each other.

So we now have two ways to write teeth biting :-)

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1508  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index