forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1566  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Jul 4, 1999  1:43 pm
Subject:  Re: SW Dictionary Project 2000

> My only comment is that although we do not copy English words from some
>kind of dictionary in typing e-mail messages, etc. we are using a "standard
>spelling" that is found where?... in a dictionary. I envision the TSL
>dictionary as being some kind of "standard spelling" for each TSL sign,
>based on the videotapes that I am working from which we decided upon by the
>Deaf community here and recorded by Deaf members of that community. To
>date, no one has attempted to learn to type SW (we just got the program 2
>months ago) and people in Taiwan have never even seen anything like it
>before, so it's going to take a while.
> Gotta run!
> - Wayne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure...dictionaries are very important indeed! And you can print out your
dictionaries that you created in SignWriter 4.3 with the sophisticated
little program called the SW Dictionary Manager. And the other Deaf people
in Taiwan can refer to that print-out, when they are learning to type in
SignWriter 5.0.

The dictionary features in SignWriter 5.0, in this first release will be
minimal. What will be exciting about SignWriter 5.0 is that for the first
time in history, we will be able to type vertically. Up until now, we have
only been able to type horizontally, and then convert files to the vertical
format. But that hurt SignWriting, because the grammar improves when you
write vertically directly. So this new "typing vertically" feature is
extremely important.

And the Menus will be in Chinese, if we are lucky and can succeed with my
plan. So the Taiwan Deaf Community will be able to read the Menus in
Chinese and Taiwan Sign Language, and will be able to type their signs
directly vertically.

But the dictionary will be a "read-only" dictionary, in SignWriter 5.0's
first release. So you will still have to prepare your dictionaries in
SignWriter 4.3, and then install them into SignWriter 5.0. Written Chinese
in the dictionaries will not be available for some time.

But later, we will develop the dictionary features to work in SignWriter
5.0 - it is just a matter of time.

Of course I know it will take time for Deaf people in Taiwan to type
SignWriting! I am surprised I am seeing this in my lifetime at all - in
another 25 years though, it may happen - who knows?!!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1566  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index