forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1572  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jul 6, 1999  3:51 pm
Subject:  Re: International Keystrokes

Ron Dettloff wrote:
>Also we need to be able to cut and paste parts of signs. We should be
>able to draw a rough circle around what we want to cut or paste. alt-s
>does not give you that much control. (from someone who is using the
>program.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 6, 1999

Good Morning SW List!

Thanks for this request, Ron. Actually SignWriter 5.0 will have different
keystrokes than SignWriter 4.3, so Alt-S won't even exist in SignWriter
5.0. That is because the MS-DOS based SignWriter 4.3 does not use a mouse.
It is an old program, and is totally keystroke driven.

But in SignWriter 5.0., you can use your mouse to select things - so
everything changes into a more modern looking and modern feeling program.
For example, when your symbol is selected on the screen, you can take your
mouse, and drag the symbol anywhere - so there is a lot more flexibility.

Plus, when we do use keystrokes in SignWriter 5.0, we are trying to use
Alt+numbers, to give us international keystrokes that are not based on any
one spoken language. For example, Alt-S is based on the idea that the word
for Save starts with an "S". That is the old way of doing things. It starts
getting complicated, when another spoken language uses a word that starts
with a "G" for Guardar, which means to Save. So rather than changing the
keystrokes to fit with each spoken language, we are using Alt combined with
numbers to give us international keystrokes.

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1572  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index