forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1608  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Sun Aug 1, 1999  10:05 pm
Subject:  Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages

Hmm... this brings up a very interesting question, James. I'm late-deaf and
therefore combine my english with ASL to form CASE, Conceptually Accurate
Signed English. It's also called PSL, Pidgin Sign Language. And then there
are the forms of sign language in the US in which we try to follow the spoken
English Language exactly, or near so. SEE, Signed Exact English, and a couple
more abbreviations I'm not remembering right now. Obviously, this would open
up a Pandora's box if we were to try to include all the variations for all the
languages/countries on the list. Perhaps a grouping of languages would be
better. An identification of Country followed by a Particular Language
Abbreviation. Sort of like: USA-ASL, USA-SEE, MEX-MSL, etc. It would go a
long way to using the same abbreviation for two different languages from two
different countries.

Bill Reese

James Shepard-Kegl wrote:

> Nicaraguan Sign Language, at least in research papers, is called ISN, or
> Idioma de Senas de Nicaragua. ISN refers to the rich, sophisticated sign
> language characterized by a developed grammar and syntax.
>
> There is, for lack of a better description, a pidgin sign language in
> Nicaragua which is called LSN, or Lengua de Senas de Nicaragua. LSN should
> be considered a communication system, but not a language in the sense of
> ISN or ASL or english.
>
> James Shepard-Kegl

  Replies Author Date
1623 International User's Interface Valerie Sutton Tue  8/3/1999

  Message 1608  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index