forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1626  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Aug 3, 1999  4:09 pm
Subject:  Re: Acronyms for SLs

>By the way, there are more than 100 signed languages listed in the
>Ethnologue, so if you haven't checked it out, do it!
>
>https://www.sil.org/ethnologue/families/Deaf_Sign_Language.html
>
>Hasta luego,
>
>Steve Parkhurst
>
>Madrid, Spain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 3, 1999

Hi Steve and Everyone!
Thanks for this good message about the SIL listing - I think it is an
excellent list and very hard to compile. I can well imagine there were all
kinds of problems putting it together, and yes...the three letter acronyms
are exactly what is needed...because more letters become cumbersome in
programming.

And if the ISO had the SIL listing as a part of their lists of
language-acronyms then that would be a great help to programmers....

Of course, up until now, there was no way to type signed languages anyway,
so that is an obvious reason why signed languages were not included in the
ISO listing - but now with SignWriting that can change - so I am trying to
assist in this historic shift...

It probably doesn't seem that important to non-programmers, but it does
have a subtle influence on Deaf rights - because their languages will be
more respected by the established programmers.

At least that is what I hope for....

So I think we owe the SIL a debt of gratitude for the work they have done
all these years - it is extensive.

And I will definitely write to them to thank them, and to tell them about
my thoughts, and then I will write to the ISO - and I bet this will all
work out!!

Thanks for writing, Steve, and say hello to the Spanish "signwriters"for us -

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting Web Site
https://www.SignWriting.org

Post messages to the SignWriting List

SignWriting List Archives
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

The DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
PO. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1626  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index