forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1638  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Aug 7, 1999  6:02 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting & Unicode

On August 7, 1999, Michael wrote:

>Valerie has kindly sent me these materials, and it is just what I needed to
>get to work.
>"Typing" with Unicode is a little ambiguous. The UCS is a character set,
>which is a big collection of characters (letters, numbers, signs, etc.). Of
>course inputting methods are required, but these are INDEPENDENT of the
>character set. Inputting methods access the character set. Right now on the
>DOS SignWriting software (somebody _please_ port it to a Java app for us
>Mac guys!) you have a input methods to access your character set. The same
>input methods (or very similar ones) should be used when SignWriting gets
>encoded in the UCS.

>Michael Everson
Everson Gunn Teoranta
https://www.indigo.ie/egt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Michael and Everyone on the SW List!!
Thanks for this great message about Unicode and SignWriting...I am glad you
received my notebook listing the SignWriting symbols. We all feel very
fortunate that you feel that SignWriting can be a part of the Unicode
Character Set (UCS).

And thank you for all the time and effort you are putting into this - I
know this is a big job, but in the long run it should make it easier for
programmers around the world....so you are giving us a major gift...

Now I understand it a little better, thanks to your explanation...I guess
the UCS is just the characters, and the way those characters are typed is
up to the software developer....that means we can continue to type
SignWriting the way we do in the SignWriter Computer Program but use the
UCS...is that correct?

As far as the java application goes - we are trying and working on it!! So
just as soon as it is ready, you will be the first to know!

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting Web Site
https://www.SignWriting.org

Post messages to the SignWriting List

SignWriting List Archives
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

The DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
PO. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1638  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index