forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1670  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Trevor Jenkins
Date:  Mon Aug 16, 1999  1:23 pm
Subject:  Re: How many signers in the world?

> How many people in the world (both Deaf and hearing) use a signed language?
> Does anyone know the current statistics?

I believe that the figure for the UK is 30,000 users of BSL. How the figure
was derived I don't know. The CACDP, who are responsible for certification
of signers here, may be able to tell you more.
(https://www.cacdp.demon.co.uk)
> I am writing a report to a foundation, and I need the statistic for the
> report....
>
> A long time ago I read that approximately 2% of the world's population uses
> a signed language, but I wonder if that is true?

It's reckoned that 1:7 of the population has some form of hearing
impairment, which gives 10,000,000 people tops. It includes Deaf and HoH
people. Nowhere near that number use sign.

Regards, Trevor

--

<>< Re: deemed!

  Message 1670  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index