forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1693  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Aug 18, 1999  5:01 pm
Subject:  Writing different dimensions...

Martin 'Lolly' Lorenz wrote:

>...what i guess is, that the 4th dimension introduced
>through space in sign language makes it more difficult to
>transpose it to the 2-dimensional paper.
>
>is there a principle rule followed by SignWriting"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Martin and everyone on the SW List....

In regards to writing the different dimensions...in SignWriting we have
symbols that relate to "imaginary planes" that cut space. We have symbols
that relate to the "Wall Plane". Those symbols or positions are parallel to
the Wall, or to your chest. We also have positions and movements that are
parallel to the Floor Plane (forward or back). And we can write the other
planes too, for more detailed writing, when necessary.

The planes we use most are called the Frontal Plane (Wall Plane) and the
Transverse Plane (the Floor Plane).

You can read about how this is applied to SignWriting's Movement Arrows on
our web site:

Lessons In SignWriting
Lesson 5: Straight Movement Arrows
https://www.SignWriting.org/arrow000.html

The double-stemmed arrows (Wall Plane), the single-stemmed arrows (Floor
Plane) and the palm facing symbols incorporate some of the issues of
writing the third dimension etc.

And there are other ways too - for example - we can write from the "Top
View" and view signs from overhead. Then we can switch from the Top View to
the Front View in the same document, and it is easily read.

In the entire Sutton Movement Writing system, which is used to record all
body movement, there are also symbols we call the "3-D" symbols, which can
be placed under the writing to clarify certain "3-D" issues. Those are not
used in SignWriting, but in DanceWriting and MimeWriting instead.

Valerie ;-)

  Message 1693  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index