forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1710  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Aug 20, 1999  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Acronyms

>I have just updated this to contain Valerie's Acronyms. There seems to be
>some discrepency between what she provides and what SIL provides for
>Canada, Hong Kong, India, and Pakistan.
>Michael Everson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Michael and everyone -
In regards to Indopakistan Sign Language, or IPSL, I was just following the
suggestion of linguist Ulrike Zeshan:

~~~~~~~~~~
From: Ulrike Zeshan
Subject: Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages
To: SignWriting List

Note that the political border between India and Pakistan is not a language
border or even a dialect border between the sign language varieties on both
sides. Even though there are dialect boundaries, they do certainly not
coincide with the political border between India and Pakistan. In
particular, sign language varieties in Pakistan and (at least)
North-Western India are the same, with more variation in other parts of
India, but probably still at the dialect level. I therefore use the term
IPSL (Indopakistan Sign Language), as Angus has noted before. It may well
turn out that sign language varieties in Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka
are also similar enough to be classified as dialects, but this cannot be
ascertained yet.

Valerie ;-)

  Message 1710  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index