forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1749  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Akehurst
Date:  Fri Aug 27, 1999  1:14 pm
Subject:  SWLProject

Hi Valerie, nice to be getting back 'in harness' and wanted to comment on
your notes (before I get toooo far behind again...)

I was having trouble determining "which" facial expressions were absolutely
mandatory, and which were just "a nice addition".

But based on what you said...I can continue to enjoy transcribing
videotapes of ASL, and if I feel a facial expression is valuable I can
write it without fear that the document can't be read.

I think this is exactly right, Valerie. I'm thinking people WILL be writing
SW like that. Their personalities and personal preferences will come
through (as with other written languages). Some are so exact, every
grammatical rule respected, etc. - others just jot down the bare necessities
to make themselves understood. That's what makes it all so 'alive' and it's
exciting to see SW going through those same motions.

The real issue, of course, is establishing rules on which facial
expressions are "mandatory" to write - and that is a linguistic question
that may have different answers depending on the signed language being
written...

I agree. I think the sheer passage of time and experience with SW will help
us with this question.

Darline Clark-Gunsauls' Cinderella three-quarters ready to be
published....and Humpty Dumpty...would those two pieces of literature be of
interest to your students?

Send at will! Thanks, Valerie :)

all the best,

Kathy Akehurst
Private Tutor
Ontario, Canada

  Replies Author Date
1787 Any advice for teachers? Valerie Sutton Fri  9/3/1999

  Message 1749  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index