forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1757  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Aug 26, 1999  2:15 am
Subject:  Re: Deaf population

>So, I would use the 0.2% figure as the number of persons in a population
>that would likely use SL or if given the opportunity would use SL.
>
>Here is the reference for the US study:
>
>Schein, Jerome D. (Director), Marcus T. Delk, Jr.
>1974 The Deaf Population of the United States. Silver Spring, The National
>Association of the Deaf.

>Steve Parkhurst

Hello Steve -
I just wanted to thank you for your thoughtful description of the problems
with statistics - you clearly have experience.

I suspect I should leave the statistics out completely. I will try to
explain in my report, that SignWriting offers possible benefits to a small
percentage of the world's population...the population of people who use a
signed language, be they Deaf or hearing.

Valerie ;-)

  Message 1757  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index