forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1779  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Sep 2, 1999  4:13 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting principles

>A thought just occurred to me -- we have been discussing whether SignWriting
>is Phonemic/Alphabetic or Logographic. We have seen how the transposition
>of graphemes/phonemes can alter one's understanding of the textual message
>in an alphabetic/phonemic written language (English). Does such
>transpositions occur in reading SW? If not, wouldn't that be an argument
>for a more logographic perspective of SW?
>
>--Don Grushkin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 2, 1999

Hi Don-
I am not sure I understand your question above, so maybe you could explain
it further....

How does the transposition of graphemes/phonemes alter one's understanding
of the textual message in an alphabetic/phonemic written language such as
English?

Such transpostions may occur when reading SW...but first I have to
understand what a transposition is? ha!!

Valerie ;-)

  Message 1779  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index