forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1781  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Sep 2, 1999  11:41 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting principles

>A transposition is when you perceive the elements of the text in a reversed
>or mixed up order.
>
>Obviously, if you get the elements in the wrong order, your comprehension of
>the message can be delayed or entirely disrupted.
>
>--Don Grushkin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Don - Thanks for explaining what a transposition is :-)

So I believe I understand your question as being...When people read
SignWriting, do they sometimes mistakenly transpose symbols? And if they
don't, then your assumption is that SignWriting perhaps is not phonetic or
phonemic...Please forgive me if I have misunderstood your point..

If that is your point, then my answer is this: SignWriting is definitely
phonetic/phonemic, and is not logographic. Although I have zero research on
whether people "transpose" SW symbols or not, I suspect they do
occasionally. Once a person becomes fluent in reading SignWriting it is
quite similar to becoming fluent in reading a spoken language written with
the Roman alphabet. Signs, like words, become a collected unit of "pieces"
and the brain starts memorizes each collection of pieces. They become
"standardized" from constant repetition. Sometimes some signs look quite
close to each other - similar handshapes - maybe only the movement changes
or whatever - and when two signs are written with similar symbols, but only
slightly differently....just like words, they can be mis-read.

Valerie ;-)

  Message 1781  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index