forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1833  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Sep 14, 1999  11:36 pm
Subject:  Re: Announcing: SignBank Database Online

> I don't understand why you needed a new domain name. Wouldn't
>signbank.signwriting.org would have been fine?
>
> And it's not clear: will the database be searchable? Will the ASL
>(and eventual DGS etc.) signs be ordered by your sign symbol sequence?
>
>--
> Angus B. Grieve-Smith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Angus and everyone -

Of course you are right that I didn't have to have a new domain name. I
simply chose to get another one....

Our trademarks "SignWriting" and "DanceWriting" both have their own domain
names and web sites: "SignWriting.org" and "DanceWriting.org".

Our registered trademark "SignBank", which we have owned since the
mid-1980's is specifically connected with our computer software on the
Macintosh, called SignBank I and II, which was used in the late 1980's.

Now that I will be placing the SignBank I database online, and I hope to
also offer the computer software to download from the site, so that people
on Macs can open the dictionary and cut, copy and paste signs into any
program, I thought it would be nice to have a web site for SignBank. There
is also a computer program for the Mac created in Denmark, called TegnBank,
which translated into English means SignBank. Although the programs
themselves are different, the writing system is the same. In time I hope to
ask the Danes if they would like to have their database online too.

So the SignBank web site is "databases only" and the "software that goes
with those databases".

Everything else, such as instruction, opinions, history, who, what, where
and why are still on the SignWritingSite.

Valerie ;-)

Valerie Sutton..............................................SignWritingSite
................. https://www.SignWriting.org

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting...Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization...Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1833  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index